Pride, LA asked in Child Support for Louisiana

Q: Why am I paying child support on children that neither myself or their mother have custody of?

Neither I nor my ex wife have custody of our children. I signed my rights to the grandpa and her rights were terminated by the court system. However I am still being held responsible for child support, solely.

So much of my check is being garnished that I can no longer afford my normal household bills or provide for myself and other children.

I am not allowed to see or speak to my children. Nor do I even know where they are located. I haven't seen or spoken to them in 4 years

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Ellen Cronin Badeaux
Ellen Cronin Badeaux
  • Covington, LA
  • Licensed in Louisiana

A: Consenting to custody by someone else does not change your support obligation; only adoption would end the obligation of support

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.