Dallas, GA asked in Child Custody, Child Support and Family Law for Georgia

Q: I have 50/50 custody of my 2 kids, one lives with me & one lives with the mom do i still have to pay child support?

1 Lawyer Answer
Elizabeth Cruz Noellien
Elizabeth Cruz Noellien
  • Duluth, GA
  • Licensed in Georgia

A: It depends on the income of the parents. If both parents have similar income then an award of support from one parent to the other for each child will cancel itself out. If one parent has significantly more income than the other parent, then the parent with more income can be ordered to pay support, although it may be for a reduced amount.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.