Colorado Springs, CO asked in Criminal Law, Divorce, Family Law and Child Custody for Colorado

Q: Are the details below obstruction of justice and if so, can I file for obstruction of justice?

I am currently in a custody case with 3 individuals. Me, the Father, and his sister/intervener (sister has guardianship) we just went through a Child family investigation and the CFI recommended that the guardianship is no longer in the best interest of my son and that my son should be returned to me. The CFI states in her report that the “Father failed to timely comply with numerous requests and deadlines throughout the investigation, including payment of his $1,375 portion of the CFI’s fee, which was instead paid by Intervenor, despite the Court’s finding that she was indigent”. The intervener requested the CFI in a ploy to continue parental alienation with false accusations and applied for state assistance in which she was approved and then she paid for her brothers portion. Is that considered obstruction of justice?

1 Lawyer Answer
Sabra M. Janko
Sabra M. Janko PRO label
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Colorado Springs, CO
  • Licensed in Colorado

A: A CFI Report not not pertain to "justice" but rather the best interests of the children. Generally prosecutors are not interested in pursuing issues that arise in civil matters. However if you believe that someone behaved inappropriately in the civil case, you can raise that issue in the civil case.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.