Wisconsin Rapids, WI asked in Family Law and Child Custody for Wisconsin

Q: Can I file a notice or order to change custody and placement, if there's a current open case for contempt, in Wisconsin.

My ex and I have 50/50. He's barely exercised his placement the last 2 years (less than 30 days out of his 365). Our 15yo does not want to go to his dad's anymore because hes never there or spends any time with him. Ex recently filed contempt on me because I didn't allow our son to go there one afternoon, yet he goes weeks and months without seeing him. It's to the point I need to fight for him full-time, so I can continue to give my son the stable home he deserves. I just don't know if I can file to change placement and custody if there's an open case for contempt. I have all documentation to support my request. I've been keeping track since the last time we modified the order. I look forward to hearing from you.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Jane E. Probst
Jane E. Probst
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Brookfield, WI
  • Licensed in Wisconsin

A: There is a provision in the Wisconsin State Statutes that provides that a person can lose their court ordered placement if they do not exercise it. You can file a Motion to modify the current Order to incorporate the status quo.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.