Ashburn, VA asked in Child Support for Georgia

Q: Does child support end for two kids when the youngest isn't a minor anymore?

I'm not familiar with the child support laws in AL but it seems that child support is determined by how many minors and both parent's income. Is that correct? So if I have a client who is getting $500 for two kids, the youngest kid is 10 and the oldest is 17. So will child support be given in full until both kids aren't minors anymore?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Regina Irene Edwards
Regina Irene Edwards
  • Lawrenceville, GA
  • Licensed in Georgia

A: Unless the order specifically states that the support will drop to a certain number when one child ages out, the support continues at the current number until the 2nd child ages out. In most cases, this isn't a problem because the person paying child support may be earning more money, so the amount paid paid for 1 child, if recalculated, would be the same as what they already paying for 2.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.