Lewiston, ID asked in Real Estate Law for Idaho

Q: What are my options to sell my part of inherited property?

My step sister and I inherited a home (50/50) from our father, I want to sell my half. She lives in the home. She agrees with selling, but it's 2 years now and hasn't done anything moving forward. I just want my share of inheritance. What are my options?

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
Anthony M. Avery
Anthony M. Avery pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›

A: Hire a competent ID attorney to do one or the other: draft a Deed with proper Derivation of Title Clause and you sell your tenancy in common interest for an agreed price actually paid over; or file suit for a Partition Sale.

Kevin M Rogers agrees with this answer

Kevin M Rogers
Kevin M Rogers
  • Boise, ID
  • Licensed in Idaho

A: I agree with Mr. Avery. Either come to an agreement with perhaps a threatened partition of the property, or simply file a Petition for Partition of the land.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.