Wellington, FL asked in Family Law and Child Custody for Georgia

Q: I'm primary custody parent&the mother has taken child out of state to Georgia to keep without my knowledge. Advice?

I'm coming to Georgia in 2days. She was to watch our son at his Grandmother's in Florida while I had surgery in Miami. His Mom came to Florida, took our son to GA., and when I asked for our son back she told me to leave him alone she's keeping him for good. The child lives with me full-time as I'm primary custody parent since she left house 2018. She has 49nights a year to spend with our son and that's our divorce paperwork. Paperwork states my son and I live in Florida. She's taken him out of state without consent, lied about her address, lied about the name of school she's enrolled him in, and still won't tell me the name despite his school in Florida wanting it. Our son is Autistic and it behooves his education plan to connect the two schools. Plus transparency when it comes to his school/education is in the paperwork. I just want to know what to do within the letter of the law because I certainly believe it's on my side. Please and thank you!



Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
V. Joy Edwards
V. Joy Edwards pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Atlanta, GA
  • Licensed in Georgia

A: Wow! That sound like a terrible situation for your son. He must be so confused not knowing what is going on. If you have a Court Order that you have custody, it sounds like contempt may be in order. You should consult with an attorney to assist you in getting your son back as the Court Order dictates.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.