Independence, MO asked in Car Accidents for Kansas

Q: I had a car accident because the road is poorly designed. It happened in Kansas city, MO. can I sue city?

within how many days should I file a claim against city or whatever agent designed or built the road?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar
  • Personal Injury Lawyer
  • Little Neck, NY

A: A Kansas attorney could advise best, but your question remains open for two weeks. Technically, it's possible you could, if you could prove to a jury or judge that a road is poorly designed and that you sustained injuries as a result of that poor design. That could be more difficult than it sounds, since it would take more than your assertion that the road is poorly designed. Such cases could require the testimony of experts such as civil engineers or traffic engineers, and they don't come cheap. Many law firms are apprehensive of taking on such cases unless the damages are catastrophic. But the best way to find out would be for you to approach Kansas law firms to see if a consult would be possible.

In terms of the timetables, that's something to ascertain with a Kansas attorney. If you are contemplating legal action, I recommend you reach out to attorneys to verify applicable deadlines in terms of notices of claim and statutes of limitations. In general nationwide, when you are dealing with public agencies such as departments of transportation, departments of highways, or municipalities, the windows of time for filing notices of claim are often short, in the order of days. Don't delay there. Good luck

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.