Wichita, KS asked in Criminal Law and Family Law for Colorado

Q: Hi I had a civil order of protection against me in Colorado and it was dismissed. Can I legally contact my ex

Ok so this was a domestic violence case in Colorado. I was never arrested or charged with any crime .This has all been civil .And the civil order of protection was dismissed by the judge.So I assumed I could then contact my ex girl friend. Then a da investigator says pending charges are under investigation and its illegal to contact her.Is it really against the law if she wants to be in contact .i know they aren't always truthful because her and I being in contact can hurt any pending charges.So I called the sheriff and also the court if there was anything illegal about her and I being in contact right now as I haven't been arrested or charged with a crime .They said there's nothing in the computer or system and it seems to be legal unless she says she does not want to communicate, at that point I should stop contact or she can apply for another order of protection. So basically I want to know uf its legal for her and I to communicate while I have not been arrested for any dv crimes

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Douglas T. Cohen
Douglas T. Cohen
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Denver, CO
  • Licensed in Colorado

A: Good day. Sorry you have this confusion but also not sure what you are asking. It sounds like the court and sheriff have already told you there is no criminal or civil protection order prohibiting contact.

However, you say that they also informed you, which seems accurate, that if you contact, harass, threaten, intimidate, follow this person against her desire you may face new criminal charges and a criminal protection order and/or she could pursue a civil protection order against you.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.