De Pere, WI asked in Family Law for Wisconsin

Q: I want to know how I can keep my financial information from the attorney for my girlfriends X husbands lawyer.

We live together and he approached her that he would not change her alimony and 3 years later he changed his mind. he wants to know my financials. I explained to him I would give it to the judge so they cant see it.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Jane E. Probst
Jane E. Probst
  • Wauwatosa, WI
  • Licensed in Wisconsin

A: If you have continuously resided together for three years, her ex probably is going to argue that your girlfriend is living in a marital like relationship in which you are not wed simply to avoid a termination of maintenance. There is case law providing that marriage can be terminated if the relationship is similar to a marriage. It can also be modified if her earnings are being diminished because she is relying upon the income of a significant other. You are going to have trouble keeping your income undisclosed in such a situation.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.