Loganville, GA asked in Civil Litigation and Criminal Law for Georgia

Q: I was storing an antique coffee table (amongst other things) in my ex father in laws basement.

when i recovered my property the table was not there, he gave it to his stepson and they will not return it what can i do?

1 Lawyer Answer
Michael D. Birchmore
Michael D. Birchmore
  • Lawrenceville, GA
  • Licensed in Georgia

A: Honestly? Probably chalk this up to an experience to learn from. When you no longer had the family connection ("ex" father-in-law) you should have removed everything from the house immediately. You could sue them of course, but then you would only get the table if you won. On the other hand, you could hire legal counsel to represent you to have your best shot. However, you would then (possibly) wind up paying the attorney more than the table is worth. All in all, the value of the table may be worth getting a better understanding of how you might address your affairs in the future. Always be diligent and protect what is yours. Never assume anything to your advantage.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.