Columbia, MO asked in Family Law and Probate for Missouri

Q: My grandpa past away last august and all of a sudden his will was changed and his son got everytjing which is not

My mother died almost 4 years ago and grandpa told me and my brother what we was to inherit and our children inherit. All of a sudden after hes gone the will is no where to be found my uncle wont talk to anykne. Noones allowed on the farm. Gramdpa told me that me and my btother would split our mothers share. Now we have nothing and my uncle got eveytjing. He got rid of all his stuff the same weekenee he died and didnt offer anything tp anyone. Grandpa wouldnt of left everytbjng to kurt. He stressed over it all the time. Im suppose to get my grandmothers rings since mom ia past awY to but he womt gove them to me. Ive lost my job due to np vehicle and my uncle has 7 now simce he has grandpas ans will not help. Grandpa left me his bedroom set and my jncle wont let me have it. My uncle is drinkkng all the time and stayimg at the casinps spending thousands. When family needs help to. I dont carw about the money i just want my grandpas wishes carried out. He also told hos ex he was planning

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Lloyd  Nolan
Lloyd Nolan
  • Probate Lawyer
  • Chesterfield, MO
  • Licensed in Missouri

A: There are a lot of issues here. The first thing you need to do is to determine whether or not an estate has been opened in the Probate Court. I am assuming your grandfather was from the Columbia area, which would be Boone County. If there was a Will and it was validly excuted by your grandfather, when he was competent to do so, then barring some "provable" undue influence from others, the Will controls. If there was no WIll, then the assets would be distributed under Missouri law regarding descent and distribution. What your grandmother, or anyone else, said about who was supposed to get what, has no legal effect whatsoever. Missouri law provides that an estate must be opened within one year of the decedent's death. You may be able to obtain sufficient information about the Estate on your own by accessing Missouri's on-line Case.Net court records, but you are going to need a lawyer if you want to accomplish anything. My suggestion is that you contact an experienced probate attorney immediately.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.