Omaha, NE asked in Real Estate Law for Nebraska

Q: Hello! Question about a previous judgement that is coming up on a title search.

I inherited a house from my parents after the death of my father and have kept the house for 15 years. I am in the process of selling and have found an old Judgement from 2004 against my 1/2 brother for unpaid child support. However, the house was NOT in his name at the time of the judgement. Will this cause issues with closing? The child in question turns 29 in October 2022.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Julie Fowler
Julie Fowler
  • Omaha, NE
  • Licensed in Nebraska

A: It depends. If the child support is paid in full at this time, then it may be a non-issue. If there is still child support outstanding and there may arguable be a child support lien, then this could cause delays while clearing up this title issue. If he was not and is not a title holder, then his judgment shouldn't impede the title, but it could cause delays while figuring this out.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.