Spring, TX asked in Real Estate Law and Business Law for Colorado

Q: Can I raffle off a Colorado business that holds a 19 acre track of land in Colorado?

The business has no other assets sales or income.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Kevin Michael Strait
Kevin Michael Strait
  • Fort Collins, CO
  • Licensed in Colorado

A: Holding a raffle in Colorado is a regulated activity and requires a license issued by the Charitable Gaming Section of the Secretary of State’s office. A raffle can only be conducted by a legitimate, registered charity with an active non-profit registration in Colorado. In fact, the charity must have been in continuous operation, and in good standing, for the past 5 years in Colorado before a license application for a raffle will be considered. While raffle licenses are regularly issued by the Secretary of State, if the organizer is not a well-established charity as mentioned above the raffle is simply out of the question.

Take a look at https://www.sos.state.co.us/pubs/bingo_raffles/files/PlanningARaffle.pdf

A registered charity or non-profit organization in Colorado that does not qualify for a raffle license might consider holding a silent auction. Colorado Revised Statutes § 6-16-101 et seq. addresses the various fundraising methods a Colorado charity might use. A silent auction, conducted correctly by a Colorado charity or non-profit, would not require a raffle license.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.