Beaverton, OR asked in Employment Law and Small Claims for Oregon

Q: My jobs overpaid me, due to their own negligence. Now they want me to pay it back, do I have any legal rights not too?

The payroll accountants made a mistake and doubled my time on their books. Do I have to legally pay them back? It would be a financial hardship on my family.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
John Barron
John Barron

A: Yes, if you receive monies that you did not earn, your company has the right to ask for it back, whether it was their clerical error, or not. Receiving monies for work that you did not perform is termed "unjust enrichment," and the law does not allow persons to be unjustly enriched.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.