Eugene, OR asked in Probate for Oregon

Q: Will I get in trouble for not probating dead husband’s will? He was the beneficiary of oil rights and monthly earnings

Monthly earnings have been depositing in our bank account still. He died over a year ago and I did not know the will had to be probated. The will states that everything goes to me. I have had access to this money in our account and have been paying the quarterly taxes, but I did not know I had to have the will probated and I am worried that I will face legal consequences. The oil rights are also based in a different state.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Theressa Hollis
Theressa Hollis
  • Probate Lawyer
  • Portland, OR
  • Licensed in Oregon

A: You shouldn't worry about getting in trouble but it's a good idea to get this taken care of properly. Contact an attorney in the state where the oil rights are to find out what you need to do next. There is probably a simple procedure for you to get them transferred to you.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.