Temple, TX asked in Child Support for Georgia

Q: At 16 can a child live on their own with parental approval and income from the parent. (whether emancipated or not)

The parent would be willing to allow the child to live on their own, so the parent would be willing to pay for the child’s needs such as food and housing

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Candace Alynn Hill Duvernay
Candace Alynn Hill Duvernay
  • Fayetteville, GA
  • Licensed in Georgia

A: Once a child is legally emancipated, he or she will be expected to provide for themselves. In fact, before approving emancipation, a court will determine whether the minor has the ability to take care for themselves. This is just one of many factors the Court will take into consideration.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.