Indianapolis, IN asked in Family Law and Child Custody for Minnesota

Q: If my ex gets an ofp against me and I have 3 kids, does that mean I have custody and can move out of state? Unmarried

My ex and I broke up after he assaulted me and broke the order after being released from jail. He claims I destroyed his things and moved in with ex and got an order for protection against me. Can I move states with my kids legally? He has domestic abuse charges and drug and alcohol problems. He moved in with a 19 year old and he is 35.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Corwin Kruse
Corwin Kruse
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Licensed in Minnesota

A: Your info says you are in Indiana, so Minnesota law isn’t applicable.

That said, in MN, if he has court-ordered parenting time, you cannot move out of state without his agreement or court order.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.