Orlando, FL asked in Business Formation and Business Law for Florida

Q: When filing for an LLC is there a way to keep legal name private from public record?

I will be working under and doing business under a pen name and would like to keep my legal name as private as possible (I know there are limits to this) to separate this business from personal life. When filing for an LLC I understand that you can protect your address with a registered agent but what about legal name?

2 Lawyer Answers
Bruce Alexander Minnick
Bruce Alexander Minnick
  • Tallahassee, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: For your information:

1. The Florida Division of Corporations is not a law enforcement agency.

2. All they do is receive and examine all corporate filings for completeness and take payments for filing fees from whoever is filing the forms.

3. Filing false information on any official state document is perjury punishable in accordance with Florida law.

4. Having said that, there is a legal way for people to prevent the disclosure of their personal identification.

5. Most experienced Florida Business lawyers should be able to help you. Search for one here on AVVO.

Jane Kim
Jane Kim pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Naples, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: You can use series LLC, which would have to be registered in another state (FL does not have such a thing), then you register a business in FL. If you only register in FL, your name will have to be listed as an officer, but in other states it is not the same requirement.

Good luck.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.