Farmington, MI asked in Civil Litigation and Small Claims for Michigan

Q: Recovery of items resulting from a repossession.

Never had the opportunity to get my items until after the car was already gone from the tow yard. Car was sold by the time I got there. Items in trunk weren't recoverable which is over 3k in golf equipment. Company who did the tow falsified document saying I collected those items from trunk. Filled bbb complaints against them and the bank. I'm just at a loss of what to do now since bother refuse to respond to any further inquiries. I have a right to my possessions. Just not sure if I need to file a police complaint, civil suit. I don't know.

1 Lawyer Answer
Adam Alexander
Adam Alexander
  • Southfield, MI
  • Licensed in Michigan

A: I suggest small claims court. It is inexpensive and quick. But you are going to have to have proof, (perhaps other witnesses), of the items that were in your vehicle. And values. For example the golf equipment, I suggest you provide the original receipts and then printouts of the same equipment being sold used.

Brent T. Geers agrees with this answer

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.