Athens, GA asked in Divorce, Family Law and Child Custody for Georgia

Q: Can a business, estates, tax, and collections lawyer represent one person in 2 cases against the same defendant?

One case is divorce child custody and the other was a criminal case. We have minor children together I never was able to seek legal representation my ex talked me into signing papers at his attorney's office I do not understand nor comprehend any of this. On top of that the same lawyer and my ex husband had papers delivered to me this past Friday 04/22/2022 demanding full custody of my children and trying to get me for contempt. I'm lost clueless and need help please.

1 Lawyer Answer
Homer P Jordan IV
Homer P Jordan IV
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Atlanta, GA
  • Licensed in Georgia

A: You have a lot going on with this. I would be wise to consult with an attorney of your own and discuss the facts of the case so you can get some guidance. The custody of your children is at stake, so don’t delay in getting your own attorney.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.