Orlando, FL asked in Divorce and Family Law for Florida

Q: Hi, I had an attorney for my divorce for over a year so we've made quite a bit of progress. Here's where we are:

The Parental Plan and Marital Settlement were drafted and sent to my spouse's attorney, then we attended our mediation in Feb., 2022.

During this mediation, there were several changes made to the 2 documents, but we ran out of time and didn't get them signed. The main point of contention is the equity in hour marital home.

Since the mediation, neither of us have used our attorneys. Since the mediation, he and I have been communicating about the equity in our marital home (I no longer live there but my spouse does), which will determine the amount paid to me to buy me out. Today, I sent my final acceptable number, which happens to be much higher than he's willing to pay. If my spouse doesn't agree with me, at this point, I'd like to move forward with finalizing my divorce.

What's my next step? Do I go to the court for certain documents to complete? Obtain my entire file from my attorney? Set a court date? A mediation? I have absolutely no idea..

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Michael Ferrin
Michael Ferrin
  • Orlando, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: First you must make sure that at least one of you have plead for partition which is what allows the court to sell the home at auction if you and your husband cannot agree on what to do with the home. Second, you need to have the home appraised by a reputable appraiser that has experience testifying in court as the judge will need testimony from this sort of expert to determine the value of the home. Third, once you have all of the above completed, and you have all the evidence you need to prove your case on all the issues that have not been agreed on, you will need to file a notice for trial to advise the court that you are ready for trial. Make sure to review the judges policies and procedures as every judge and county is different.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.