Denver, CO asked in Adoption and Family Law for Colorado

Q: If X owes arrears, current order terminated, how does one collect payments when there is no set monthly pymt agreement.

There is no monthly court ordered amount due. Court order only shows full total of arrears due. Can one pay bare minimum of $10 since it's not a court ordered monthly amount to pay and he's still paying? Current order was terminated due to child being adopted.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
John Hyland Barrett III
John Hyland Barrett III
  • Family Law Lawyer
  • Louisville, CO
  • Licensed in Colorado

A: The entire amount of arears is now due and owing. You can get a judgment and garnish wages/bank accounts. There is a limit on the wage garnishment percentage depending on whether the ex is supporting another family and how old the arrears are, but you can get around 50%+ of take home income. you should get a lawyer to help you with this.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.