Asked in Criminal Law and Domestic Violence for Tennessee

Q: Me and ex live together and both names are on the lease. We got into an argument where he pushed me so I hit him

Daughter called police and we both filed dv reports against each other, now there is a no contact order but we live together. Usually our schedules match up where we don't come in contact with each other but when I arrived home he was there and called the police saying he was there 1st so I had to leave my home with no where to go and couldnt take my children with me . He says if I retract my statement then I can come back to the house because this will cancel out the 2 reports voiding the no contact rule, is this true? Will we still have to go to court if I retract my statement? We've talked and worked things out with the kids because no one was harmed and the "fight" wasnt extreme. What can I do about getting back into my only place of residence especially since we have 4 kids. I do not fear him and was comfortable leaving kids with him. We are not nor have we ever been married and have only lived together for 2yrs

1 Lawyer Answer
Cayley Turrin
Cayley Turrin
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Brentwood, TN
  • Licensed in Tennessee

A: That is NOT true. Hire an attorney immediately before you pick up a new charge.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.