The Colony, TX asked in Divorce and Family Law for Louisiana

Q: husband (now legal ex) left as a result of being called out on drug use and still has not collected his personal stuff

I am going to be moving, hopefully in the next 30 days or so, and his things are still here after continued attempts to have him collect – I have multiple messages that are ignored, some that are saying he will come soon, some saying he doesn’t want any of it. I mentioned to him that at some point it would be considered abandonment and he never responded.

he has been off the lease since Feb. I posted a couple things on Facebook Marketplace and he has gotten wind of it and has asked me how I could do that, but has not mentioned anything about finding time to come collect. I did get with him mom about a couple of personal items that were his late father’s that I still had and she has finally picked those items up, since I first boxed them up in December!!! Anyway, any sentimental items have been collected (and will be returned should anything else come up) but I am not going to let his things just sit there when I go to move out – hell, he didn’t pay rent for the last 8 months w

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Ellen Cronin Badeaux
Ellen Cronin Badeaux
  • Covington, LA
  • Licensed in Louisiana

A: Put all of his belongings in a storage unit in his name. Pay for one month of storage. Mail him the key and storage contract by certified mail and keep a copy. This should protect you from damages for wasting his property.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.