Asked in Family Law and Child Custody for Missouri

Q: I need to know what "Mother's address shall be utilized for all mailing and educational purposes for the minor children

I need to know what "Mother's address shall be utilized for all mailing and educational purposes for the minor children means in our Divorce degree. I understand the mailing part but does the educational purposes mean that my kids will go to school where my ex-wife lives even if she moves?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Kristen Thurmond
Kristen Thurmond
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Licensed in Missouri

A: Usually that language is to state an address to (1) have one address for important mail to come to so it is not missed and cannot be send to multiple places and (2) direct which school district to use unless otherwise stated in your agreement, parenting plan, or judgment. If the rest of the documents are silent as to where the children shall attend school, then in your case Mother's address will be used to determine where the children go to public school.

That said, Missouri requires parents to keep each other informed when they move under the relocation statute. This is both parents and not just the parent with the address designation. If mother moves without giving you proper notice or even with notice, you can file a motion to prevent relocation of the children or to modify the judgment to reflect the change.

As always, family law matters are very fact specific and each case is different because of that. You'll want to consult with an attorney who practices in the court that entered your judgment to see how that court would handle issues and likely outcomes.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.