Tampa, FL asked in Family Law for Florida

Q: Is my house considered a marital asset if only my name is on the deed and only been married for 7 months?

And if so then is spouse automatically entitled to 50 percent? If she agreed to give me the house what proof would I need?

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
Emily Konicek
Emily Konicek
  • Altamonte Springs, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: If the house was purchased during the marriage, it is marital regardless if only one party is on the deed.

Rand Scott Lieber
Rand Scott Lieber pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Hollywood, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: As soon as you got married your spouse got a marital interest in the property, regardless of mortgage or deed. However, that marital interest can be limited to the length of the intact marriage, meaning the appreciation in value during the marriage. Speak with a local family lawyer for more specific advice.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.