Fort Worth, TX asked in Family Law and Adoption for Indiana

Q: My issue today is I just received legal papers requesting my permission for my daughter's father & wife to adopt my gra

I currently live in Texas and have been helping my daughter with her (currently 4yo) son since he was born, even though she lived in Oklahoma. I even kept her son in Texas for 6 months while she got on her feet. After the 6 months, she took her son to Indiana where she had her father & other maternal family members to help her out. After only being there 3 short months, her son showed signs of abuse & she was charged with child neglect & sentenced to jailtime, at least 3 years. We believe it was her boyfriend who abused the boy as she has no prior history & violence, even though she has babysat kids, & he does. My daughter has served most of her time in jail & she believes she will be released by the end of the year, contingent upon completing a program. During the time she has been in jail her father has been taking care of her son, even though I fought in court for guardianship of my grandson, it was granted to my daughter's

father & his wife due to them living in Indiana where all

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James A Hanson
James A Hanson
  • Family Law Lawyer
  • Fort Wayne, IN
  • Licensed in Indiana

A: Your situation is complex and requires the dedicated attention of an experienced attorney.

You can be assured, however, that adoption is serious process with constitutional implications. Your daughter will have to be notified of any adoption proceedings and will have to be provided an opportunity to be heard by the Court during that process. Before a final adoption can take place, the Court will have to terminate the parental rights of both your daughter and the biological father of the child.

Your daughter needs legal representation as soon as possible to help protect her rights as the natural mother as this process moves forward. Indiana is a very pro-adoption state, so she needs to get in front of this as soon as possible.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.