Lodgepole, NE asked in Criminal Law for Nebraska

Q: I just got witness summoned to ND. I now reside in NE. 1300mi rnd trip, plus food/lodging. Do I have to go?

A immobile woman was found to have 2 broken legs, because the N.A. on the floor 4hrs. before my shift, had transferred her to bed, without assistance. She is now having charges brought against her. I am on disability and walk with braces and cane. My muscles are fading away slowly. In my opinion 4+/gal for gas, and only 2800/mo income. I owe one hosp. alone 9000. This is hardship for us. And the most I can say is, "I charted deep bruising", but not the broken legs, because how does someone that can't move, break their legs. I got fired for not sending her to the hospital, and let my L.P.N. lic. expire. I worked the 7pm to 7am shift, she was in bed when I arrived at jobsite, and no one charted she had done anything different then any other day. This happened in 2019. And no the summons didn't come from anyone in Nebraska, just from regular postal system, without certified return.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Julie Fowler
Julie Fowler
  • Omaha, NE
  • Licensed in Nebraska

A: You would need to talk with an attorney who practices in North Dakota if that is where the subpoena came from. At least in Nebraska, there are rules about having to compensate witnesses to appear at a hearing.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.