New Berlin, WI asked in Child Support for Wisconsin

Q: Wisconsin. Wife is dyslexic and missed child support hearing yesterday. Court gave ex a free pass. What can she do?

THe ex husband has been able to afford killer attorneys and he has used his military service to skate on responsibilities. She was prepared for this hearing with inargualble facts about why he should be paying child support, he makes plenty of money and we have the kids 10 months of the year. The court date was yesterday but she mixed up the time (11 am) with the date (the 10th) and of course the court awarded him a massive reduction , yet again. This has bankrupted us, we are trying to support 3 kids with a small business and he is laughing all the way to the bank. I don't know what to do. I read about a denovo request for review, but don't know if thats an option. I would like to give her some kind of hope and that doesn't start with "get a lawyer"

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Jane E. Probst
Jane E. Probst
  • Brookfield, WI
  • Licensed in Wisconsin

A: If she missed a hearing, she is found to be in default, thus allowing the husband to obtain the relief he seeks or dismissing her motion. If the Commissioner entered the Order, a Motion for De Novo Review can be filed as long as it is filed within the time limits in this county pursuant to Local Rules. If a Judge entered the Order, a Motion for Reconsideration would need to be filed within 30 days of the Order or hearing.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.