Baton Rouge, LA asked in Traffic Tickets for Louisiana

Q: I received a Citation which the officer put a description of an infraction without citing a statute or ordinance.

Will this be thrown out in court? Should I call the prosecutor and ask for dismissal?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Randy Bryan Ligh
Randy Bryan Ligh
  • Traffic Tickets Lawyer
  • Baton Rouge, LA
  • Licensed in Louisiana

A: I would not call the prosecutor and ask for a dismissal. If you hire an attorney, then if your attorney decided to do that, then I have no issue. In my estimation, while one might say the ticket is defective, it is something which the prosecutor can easily cure---as such, even were the ticket "dismissed" due to this infraction, the officer can write another ticket identifying the infraction and/or prosecutor can issue a charge/bill identifying the infraction----as such, you might have won, but you still have a pending issue as well.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.