Fort Myers, FL asked in Civil Rights and Medical Malpractice for Florida

Q: A psychologist released psychotherapy notes without consent.

A psychologist released detailed psychotherapy notes without my consent. He disregarded HIPPA. I feel completely violated. This occurred 5/10/22. Numerous employees throughout the large healthcare system now have access to these deeply personal notes. How do I proceed?

1 Lawyer Answer
Charles M.  Baron
Charles M. Baron
  • Civil Rights Lawyer
  • Hollywood, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: You have a potential court claim for invasion of privacy, and maybe a malpractice claim. With either, there should first be notice of claim and request for disclosure of liability insurance coverage (prelitigation notice being required for malpractice, and optional, but wise, for invasion of privacy). You may also file a complaint the U.S Office for Civil Rights - see - which might result in a civil financial penalty that gets paid to the government. By the way, the acronym for the law you are talking about is spelled HIPAA - two A's, not two P's.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.