Minneapolis, MN asked in Divorce, Child Custody and Domestic Violence for Minnesota

Q: I am a victim of an emotionally abusive and cruel wife, and i live in minnesota. She is currently out of the house

She has gaslighted me, attempted AND succeeded to ruin my reputation, my career, and has used knowledge of very personal matters (like past sexual and physical abuse) against me and even took my kids and dogs to my abusers house 4 weeks ago (my parents) and told them all of my secrets. I asked her to apologize and the only way that she ever does is if she attacks me and makes me feel horrible first because she says, "otherwise you get to win"

My two daughters (10,13) backed me up this most recent time and she is out of the house currently but i'm not sure for how long. She has done this to me many times over the years. She even sent an email to my brother who sexually abused me and I shared that with her in confidence. My parents didn't know and she copied them on the email describing what I told her as a cruel tactic to hurt me.

The only reason she is out of the house is because the kids didn't let her convince them it is all my fault. How do I protect myself?

1 Lawyer Answer
Jonathan Matthew Holson
Jonathan Matthew Holson
  • Domestic Violence Lawyer
  • Saint Cloud, MN
  • Licensed in Minnesota

A: There isn’t reality a cogent question here. But it seems to me that the place to start is by reaching out to some family law attorneys about pursuing a divorce here.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.