Parker, CO asked in Family Law, Child Custody, Child Support and Domestic Violence for Colorado

Q: If I moved to CO from NV w/ my son after circumstances w/ my son's mom. Neither has legal custody. Is it a problem?

My son's mother was arrested in NV for DV against me. She had a Protective Order placed on her for a month afterward. She said she wanted to see our son after the 30 days after the Protection Order ended and never showed. She made 2 arrangements with me and never showed up. The mom's called twice and I let her talk to our son. I never stopped her, however, I had to move to CO because my son and I were homeless 6 months after she was arrested. My mom lives in CO, my mom and I have est. a plan & she's helping me to get back on my feet. The mom of my son filed a custody order in NV and I want to know, can I get served in CO? There is currently NO custody order.

1 Lawyer Answer
John Hyland Barrett III
John Hyland Barrett III
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Louisville, CO
  • Licensed in Colorado

A: You will need to deal with the court case in NV. Yes, you can be served in Colorado. You should get a lawyer in NV to help you with this. There may be an issue whether NV or CO should make the custody decision.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.