Tacoma, WA asked in Estate Planning for Virginia

Q: How do I go about changing bank accounts set up for funds collected from rental of my mother’s home to a trust account?

My mother (and father) are deceased, and my brothers and I rent her home in Virginia, using a property manager there who rents and manages the care of the house on my behalf (I live in Washington state). From the funds I collect monthly from the rental, it all goes into an account(s) from which I pay the property and other taxes and expenses for my mother’s properties in Virginia, and when available the remaining is disbursed to my siblings and myself. If something should happen to me, I don’t know whether my siblings would be able to access the funds in these accounts because they are in my name. How would they be able to pay the bills? Who would the property manage send funds to? Can you help me to know what I need to do in this situation.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Richard Sternberg
Richard Sternberg
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Potomac, MD
  • Licensed in Virginia

A: Set up a trust. It won’t be hard, but it’s not a DIY project. Get Virginia counsel.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.