Jeffersonville, IN asked in Family Law, Child Custody and Child Support for Indiana

Q: Does suspended parenting time mean NO CONTACT?

My parenting time has been suspended pending a hair follicle test being submitted to the court and my ex-husband in Indiana.. does that mean NO CONTACT? He won't let me speak to them by phone and has even changed my son's play station account password and email so I can't send vbucks.

1 Lawyer Answer
James A Hanson
James A Hanson
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Fort Wayne, IN
  • Licensed in Indiana

A: It is impossible to answer your question specifically with the information provided. Also, it would not be appropriate to provide more detail in this venue.

I would presume from what you have shared that the Court simply suspended in-person parenting time. You should read the actual order carefully to see if the Court specified whether phone or other contact was suspended, as well. Typically with concerns about substance abuse, it is the physical parenting time in your home environment that is the concern. The assumption usually made is that if you are using drugs then you likely have them in the home and may be under the influence during your parenting time. While these assumptions are often not true, Courts often will suspend parenting time to "protect" the child(ren) from this perceived threat.

If you don't have an attorney already, now would be a good time to hire one.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.