Asked in Criminal Law and Federal Crimes for Iowa

Q: When feds pick up a state case how does that person get appointed a federal lawyer,from their state lawyer

This case is in Iowa. They were state charges, & the feds picked them up and now being held in county jail, & cannot get any information from anyone regarding this inmate. How does someone go about getting a federal attorney appointed when the attorney they have was the attorney appointed for the charges when they were state charges.This attorney states that she doesn’t know anything going on with the case, though, she was the appointed attorney when they were just state charges.What needs to be done now?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Katherine Sears
Katherine Sears
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Des Moines, IA
  • Licensed in Iowa

A: Those of us who practice exclusively Iowa law don't necessarily know how to navigate PACER (the federal filing system) let alone how to request the appointment of federal counsel.

Your friend could call the federal public defender's office and see if someone over there knows.

Here is a brochure I found on the Iowa Federal Public Defender's page:

Good luck!

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.