Detroit, MI asked in Criminal Law and Domestic Violence for Michigan

Q: His wife didn’t call 911 or even for help nor can she remember what happened and her mother did a lot of illegal things

n: My brother was accused of domestic violence against his wife he recorded the entire fight they had up until the point where he left the house. She was drinking and actually assaulted him multiple times physically with a vaccum tube. An article was published in the local newspaper stating he had assaulted her but did not name her. He has a background and history of domestic violence which is why he recorded the fight to begin with how possible is it that when he turns this video in they will drop the charges again him

1 Lawyer Answer
Brent T. Geers
Brent T. Geers
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Grand Rapids, MI
  • Licensed in Michigan

A: How did the police become involved? It is possible for both people to be charged with domestic violence. Whether the video will help him depends on the entirety of the situation; the problem with video is that it only shows a moment in time. If I pummel you, then turn on my video just as you are getting up and hit me, I could still have assaulted you.

Whether it's dropped will depend on what the police witnessed, statements made to them, whether the wife will testify against him, and other evidence the prosecutor well as him background.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.