This site is undergoing scheduled maintenance. Please check back in a few minutes.
New Iberia, LA asked in Child Support for Louisiana

Q: My child is now of majority in the state of Louisiana. I would like to know how child support ends when this was a only

a divorce settlement.. Is there a form to fill out? Does it just stop? I contacted numerous people (clerk of court, Judges secretary, DCFS and others) and no one can answer my question. It has been many years since child support started and now that is ending I can not find an answer to what seems to be a simple question?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Randy Bryan Ligh
Randy Bryan Ligh
  • Baton Rouge, LA
  • Licensed in Louisiana

A: Interestingly enough you post indicates that you "...contacted numerous people (clerk of court, Judges secretary, DCFS and others) " however none are lawyers. Please contact a family law lawyer in your area and bring him a copy of the order as it pertains to child support and ask your questions. I bet the lawyer you contact will be able to answer your questions.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.