Portage, IN asked in Child Support for Indiana

Q: Emancipation, Does child support terminate after the child graduates from college? Ex wife still wants money.

Porter county Indiana

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James A Hanson
James A Hanson
  • Fort Wayne, IN
  • Licensed in Indiana

A: Standard child support ends when the child achieves the age of 19. Child support during the college years generally requires an additional order from the Court specifying how much each parent is to contribute to the cost of education.

You should review your child support order to see specifically what the Court ordered in terms of child support during college and after the age of 19.

Also, keep in mind that child support awards are unified so that the amount doesn't change and remains in effect if there is a younger child still under the age of 19. If this your situation, you need to file a petition to modify support so that you can remove the emancipated child from the calculation of the support amount.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.