Fort Lauderdale, FL asked in Real Estate Law and Probate for Florida

Q: My uncle passed ,he is survived by 2 sisters .He has property in Rincon,Puerto Rico .Who inherits that land.

How does one transfer the deed from the deceased to the living relative? Get the property appraised and put on the market once inheritance is established.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Terrence H Thorgaard
Terrence H Thorgaard
  • Probate Lawyer
  • Freeeport, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: I assume that he didn't reside in Puerto Rico, but in Florida. If so, you (or one of his sisters) need to file a probate petition with the court in the county where your uncle resided. Whoever does this needs to do it through an attorney. You probably also need to file an ancillary probate petition in Puerto Rico.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.