Monroe, GA asked in Criminal Law, Banking and Federal Crimes for Georgia

Q: If someone uses venmo to fraudulently transfer money from one person's bank acct to their acct and the victim's bank

Tracked their location thru the IP address, but at the time the victim didn't press charges Almost a year later could the victim decide to press charges. The amount stolen was around $2000.

1 Lawyer Answer
Zachary Taylor Beck
Zachary Taylor Beck
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Rome, GA
  • Licensed in Georgia

A: The short answer is yes. However, an important caveat is that the State (i.e., Prosector's office in the county where the alleged theft occurred) decides whether to pursue charges, not the victim. Therefore, because the amount stolen was over $500.00, the alleged thief would likely be charged with felony theft by taking under Georgia law. Thus, the State would have four years from the time the alleged felony was committed to file an accusation or indict the alleged thief. This is true regardless of when the victim notifies the State of the alleged theft.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.