Murrieta, CA asked in Estate Planning and Real Estate Law for Florida

Q: My grandmother wants to buy a property I eventually will inherit and what's the best way to go about the title?

My grand mother wants to buy a property in Florida and put my name on the title and have a joint tenancy if possible. She also said maybe it's better if the title is in my name and she has a life estate instead. She basically wants to know what's the best way to go about buying the property so that no one can sue her and take the property away?

1 Lawyer Answer
Anthony Leonard Conticello
Anthony Leonard Conticello pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Tallahassee, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: Great question and what a great problem to deal with!

One key component to many Estate Plans is creditor avoidance. Fortunately, there are several alternatives available to both of you, some of which require specific language to be included in the deed. In addition to Estate Planning services, our firm deals with Elder law planning issues and I am concerned that if your grandmother gives you the property, it could affect her eligibility to obtain certain governmental benefits, such as Medicaid.

It is probably appropriate for you and your grandmother to hire a qualified Estate Planning attorney who can point you quickly in the right direction.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.