Chicago, IL asked in Child Support and Family Law for Indiana

Q: Can the state still collect child support although the father has been paying me monthly and ive reported it?

I moved to indiana from cali. When i lived in cali, i had to apply for help as i had a min paying job and the father became the daycare as daycare was outrageously expensive. He did side jobs and gave me money. I reported this as well. We eventually worked out our differences and moved to indiana where he just got a notice to give info on his employment and wage info. Is there anything we can do? He did provide child care and paid what he could on weekend jobs?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James A Hanson
James A Hanson
  • Fort Wayne, IN
  • Licensed in Indiana

A: Indiana does not allow retroactive changes to child support. However, you can explain to a court that payments were made to satisfy child support to eliminate arrearages.

You should probably get the child support re-calculated now that your financial and expense situations are different from your situation in California.

I would recommend finding a competent local family law attorney to help you with getting the baseline reset to the appropriate level for your current context.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.