Asked in Child Custody for Nebraska

Q: I have legal custody of my son his mother had a visitation with him and she refuses to return him and has left the state

I called the cops and they say it's a civil matter even though I have legal custody of my son we've been through Court

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Julie Fowler
Julie Fowler
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Omaha, NE
  • Licensed in Nebraska

A: There are a number of options here depending on the specific circumstances of your case. Law enforcement is sometimes the last resort. Sometimes law enforcement won't assist without a further court order. Depending on the circumstances, you may need to get an order stating that law enforcement shall assist with obtaining the child. Sometimes law enforcement won't honor this order unless it comes from a court within their own jurisdiction. You would need to speak with an attorney about the specifics of your case for your best options.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.