Parker, CO asked in Child Custody, Divorce and Family Law for Colorado

Q: I am married, just filed for divorce. My wife lives in NC, I live in CO with our minor child and need to move to KS.

I have residential custody and there is already a parenting time plan in place, filed and approved by the courts as a result of a abuse/neglect investigation involving my wife. She moved to NC during that investigation before there was a parenting time order. She now says I'm not allowed to move with our daughter out of CO without her consent. We are moving closer to her, and not asking to change anything about the parenting time on order. CO is very 'do it yourself' when it comes to family court, and I can't afford an attorney. Can anyone actually answer my question: Since she is NOT in CO, am I allowed to move with our child to a different state or do I still have to have her consent? Thank you John for the answer - but could you also tell me why I need her consent since she doesn't live in CO either?

1 Lawyer Answer
John Hyland Barrett III
John Hyland Barrett III
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Louisville, CO
  • Licensed in Colorado

A: You need her consent or an order from the court allowing the move. If she will not consent, you should file a motion to approve the move. You should get a lawyer to help you with this.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.