Orlando, FL asked in Personal Injury and Probate for Florida

Q: My minor son has been awarded a lawsuit I need help

Minor son attack by a dog almost lost his arm A structured lawsuit being put in a trust fund signed deal and delivered by a judge lawyer is telling me to wait on a 3rd party to release the fund to get the allotted monies to me for out of pocket expenses to help my son get his arm back functioning is that possible lawyer stated waiting on funds to be disbursed

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
Charles M.  Baron
Charles M. Baron
  • Hollywood, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: Yes, it is possible for there to exist a situation where there is a wait for settlement funds to be disbursed, but it sounds like you are having some kind of communication problem with your attorney. You should be able to fully understand what the status of the settlement distribution is and the exact reasons for what is happening. If there is a communication problem, write to your attorney to address it and get it solved. Or is this a case of you receiving a completely understandable explanation, but you're not sure if you should trust your attorney's word? If that's the situation, you probably need to schedule a consultation with another attorney to review the relevant documents and communications.

Bruce Alexander Minnick
Bruce Alexander Minnick
  • Probate Lawyer
  • Tallahassee, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: In my very experienced opinion, the absolute last thing you need during this incredible time of stress is to start a fight with the lawyer who YOU hired and who obviously was experienced and good enough to have fought for your son as hard as he did and got the other side to establish the trust fund for you son. If you attack your lawyer now the delay will get even longer and your son will continue to suffer--for what you did.

Terrence H Thorgaard agrees with this answer

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.