Staten Island, NY asked in Divorce for New York

Q: change of Venuer

I am disabled,live near acourthouse in the same NYS Unified Court system, different county, Dont drive 3hours of public transportation required NY subways mostly inaccesible

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Peter Christopher Lomtevas
Peter Christopher Lomtevas
  • Brooklyn, NY
  • Licensed in New York

A: There is no question posed here. However, assuming the question has to do with how to change venue, the asker should retain counsel. The process involves filing a motion with the wrong court asking it to transfer the case to the correct court. Reasoning has to be "legal"; witnesses are all in the correct court's county, the events all happened in the correct court's county, and so on. Using disability and illness is not a legal reason.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.