Asked in Child Custody for Indiana

Q: Married when baby was born. She didn't put father on birth certificate against his wishes. Got a divorce a month after

baby was born. Then she gave her rights up to her mother against his she lives 2 hours away and will only let him seed her if he comes down. She tried saying that he raped her while she was pregnant. He didn't. they been together 10 years.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James A Hanson
James A Hanson
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Fort Wayne, IN
  • Licensed in Indiana

A: The question is a bit confusing. Here is what I think will help.

First, the divorce decree needs to be checked to see if the court presumed the husband to be the father. If she was divorced just a month after birth, then it is likely the divorce decree either has language acknowledging husband as father or has language stating that husband is not father. That is an important first step.

Second, for the biological father to assert his rights, he will need to file a Juvenile Paternity (JP) case and have his paternity established with a DNA test (since he is not on the birth certificate or on a paternity affidavit). Once biological father is established as the father, then the court can award parenting time and child support.

You may have a problem with jurisdiction. If the child has been living outside Indiana for more than six (6) months, you might have problems filing a JP case in Indiana. You will want to discuss this with a family law attorney to be sure you can establish jurisdiction in Indiana.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.