Carthage, TX asked in Family Law and Child Support for Louisiana

Q: My dad is paying back payments. I’m 21 now,my mom has the card with my name on it. Is it possible for me to get the $

Mom lives in LA I Been living in Texas by myself since I was 13. She refuses to give me the back child support she is finally getting. How would I be able to get the card & is that even possible for me to get the money directly to me. Or does she have to be the one getting it? I wasn’t sure how the child support laws work.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Randy Bryan Ligh
Randy Bryan Ligh
  • Baton Rouge, LA
  • Licensed in Louisiana

A: You can and should consult with a lawyer who is in the jurisdiction where the Order was issued/signed to see what, if any, options are available to you, however it is most likely not going to provide you the answer you seek----still, you should get the consult to see if there is any way you can get the money going towards you as opposed to your mom. Good luck.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.